Cricket in India is not just a sport; it is a religion and a way of life for many people. Today, cricket is deeply ingrained in the social fabric of India just because of love for the game, enthusiasm, passion for the game amongst all generations of Indian society. So don’t be surprised to know :
1. The first-ever recorded cricket match in India was played in 1721.
2. The first-ever Indian cricket team was formed in 1911, and it toured England.
3. The BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) is the richest cricket board in the world.
4. India has won the Cricket World Cup twice, in 1983 and 2011.
5. Did you know ; The Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) is the oldest cricket association in India, established in 1930.
6. The first Indian cricketer to score a double century in a Test match was Vinoo Mankad, who scored 231 against New Zealand in 1955.
7. India has won the Asia Cup tournament six times.
8. The first-ever Indian cricketer to score a century in a Test match was Lala Amarnath, who scored 118 against England in 1933.
9. India has hosted the Cricket World Cup twice, in 1987 and 2011.
10. The first-ever Indian cricketer to take a five-wicket haul in a Test match was Amar Singh, who achieved the feat against England in 1932.
His full name was Ladhabhai Nakum Amar Singh, born on December 4th, 1910 in Rajkot Gujrat. Another rare known fact is that his international career spanned 4 years only 1932 – 1936. He is also considered as one of the most shortest lived players (29 years, 169 days).